For some of our patients, breast augmentation is about achieving their desired body proportions while for others it is about restoring their figure after pregnancy or weight loss. Regardless of your reason for seeking breast augmentation, we want to support you through the process all the way from pre-surgery preparation to breast augmentation recovery.
At Finesse Cosmetic Surgery in Boston, MA, we prioritize both quality and safety in every breast augmentation procedure. Ensuring that every patient receives top-notch care, our focus remains steadfastly on precision and the best outcomes for everyone opting for breast augmentation. Before your surgery, we will make sure you know what to expect and have all of the information you need for a successful recovery.
What Is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation is a surgery that is used to increase breast size either to resolve small breasts or to provide added balance and symmetry. This is often done using breast implants, prosthetics that are inserted under the breast tissue to give them more volume. Results can be tailored extensively to give you results that fit your idea of an ideal figure. Implants can produce natural-looking and aesthetically pleasing outcomes, making this a good procedure for many different candidates.
Why Opt for Breast Augmentation?
Improved Body Contour and Symmetry
One of the main benefits of breast augmentation is the enhancement of your body’s contours. Many individuals seek this procedure to balance the proportions of their upper and lower body. It can also help to address concerns related to uneven or asymmetrical breasts, ensuring both breasts align harmoniously in size and shape, giving you a more symmetrical appearance.
Age-Related Changes and Pregnancy Effects
Over time, natural events like aging, pregnancies, and significant weight changes can alter the shape and volume of the breasts. Breast augmentation can effectively counter these effects, restoring or even improving the breasts’ previous appearance. This procedure helps to revitalize the chest area, for a more youthful and rejuvenated look.
Reconstruction after Mastectomy or Injury
For those who have undergone a mastectomy due to medical reasons or experienced traumatic breast injuries, breast augmentation presents a reconstructive solution. One of the primary benefits of breast augmentation in these cases is the restoration of the natural breast profile. This can be especially empowering for individuals in these situations, allowing them to regain a sense of normalcy and wholeness after significant physical changes.
Types of Breast Implants
- Saline Implants: Filled with sterile salt water, these implants can be adjusted to suit the patient’s desired size. If a saline implant were to leak, the body would naturally absorb and expel the saline without harm.
- Silicone Implants: These are filled with a thick, gel-like substance that closely mimics the feel of human tissues, providing a more natural texture and appearance. While they offer a more realistic feel than saline implants, you’ll need to check silicone implants for ruptures through routine MRI or ultrasound examinations.
Your Recovery Timeline
First 24-48 Hours
After breast enlargement, the initial 24-48 hours are important for recovery. Pain management will be a primary focus, with both prescription medications and over-the-counter options available to manage discomfort. It’s also vital to monitor for any signs of complications during this period and be attentive to the care of the surgical sites, ensuring they are cleaned and dressed appropriately to prevent infection.
In the week following the procedure, you may notice the swelling and bruising reach its peak before it starts to subside. While rest should still be a priority, the introduction of gentle movements such as walking can be very beneficial. Certain activities like lifting and strenuous exercises, should be limited. This period will also include a follow-up appointment with the surgeon to assess the healing process and address any concerns.
As you continue to heal after your breast enlargement, you may find that you can gradually return to your everyday activities. If the surgeon recommends it, this might also be the time to introduce scar treatments to optimize healing. It’s important to continue focusing on preventing complications, being observant of any changes, and promptly reporting them.
One Month to Three Months
Entering the second month post-breast augmentation surgery, you’ll likely feel more like yourself. This is when more intensive physical activities, which were previously restricted, can be reintroduced. As the swelling mostly subsides during this period, the breasts’ final shape begins to emerge. Regular check-ins with the surgeon are still important, ensuring that the recovery is on track.
Three Months and Beyond
At this stage in the breast augmentation recovery journey, the implants have typically settled, and complete healing is achieved. Any lingering concerns or questions can be addressed with the surgeon. We will make sure you understand long-term care and considerations for your implants that will be integral to maintaining their appearance and health.
Breast Augmentation Recovery Tips
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking plenty of water after the surgery aids in the healing process, ensuring cells are well-hydrated and toxins are efficiently removed from the body.
- Wear Your Supportive Garments: Proper support post-surgery will help keep everything in place. Wearing the recommended garments can promote optimal breast augmentation recovery, reducing swelling and supporting the newly adjusted breast tissue.
- Gently Move Your Body: One of our most important breast augmentation recovery tips is to do light exercises such as short walks immediately after your surgery. This promotes better circulation, helps prevent clots, and helps to kickstart your body’s healing processes.
- Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle: Prioritizing a balanced diet and minimizing or eliminating alcohol and smoking can further boost your breast enlargement recovery. Adopting a healthier lifestyle ensures that your body has the necessary nutrients and environment to heal effectively.
Breast Augmentation Recovery FAQs
Can I Sleep On My Stomach?
During the initial phase of breast augmentation recovery, sleeping on your stomach is not recommended. Doing so can place too much pressure on the breasts, possibly causing discomfort or affecting the implants’ positioning. It’s best to sleep on your back or side until your surgeon gives you the green light.
Will My Scars Be Visible?
Post-breast augmentation surgery, scars are a common concern. The visibility of scars largely depends on the surgical technique used and your body’s healing process. While every effort is made to place incisions in discreet locations, such as under the breast fold or around the areola, some scarring is inevitable. However, with time and proper care, these scars often fade and become less noticeable.
Breast Augmentation Consultations in Boston, MA
Navigating through the breast augmentation recovery process requires clear information and a dedicated team by your side. If you’re in Boston, MA, and considering this procedure or have questions about your post-operative care, we are here to guide and support you at Finesse Cosmetic Surgery. You can reach out to us at (781) 790-4409 or fill out our online form for personalized assistance.